Friday, January 28, 2011

Ughh

Sometimes I think I am a great mom, sometimes not so much. 

Yesterday was a not so much day for sure.  Poor Avery had a HORRIBLE day at school.  He was defiant and disobedient all day long, even got sent to the office.  HOLY COW!  I have NEVER been sent to the office in my life.  Little mister definitely missed the memo that we are pleasers at our house.  As his teachers are very sweetly trying to tell my child was heinous I am literally sweating with shame...  He managed a "sad face" as I sent him to hug his teachers and to say he was sorry and would try harder next week.  But, I have to say he didn't seem all that sad.  Good grief!

So, I called my Aunt Susan Jo who has a degree in Early Childhood Education and teaches pre-K for some advice.  Since she also happens to be one of Avery's top 3 favorite people on the planet (no, I am not on that list and I don't care one bit) and the feeling is mutual I knew she could say things in a way I could hear.  After a few tears I pulled it together and she made me feel much better about the fact that he is a normal 2 almost 3 year old boy. 
Aunt Susan Jo also gave me some good points about how to be more consistent and clear in our expectations.  I think I will also head to the bookstore for some good parenting books.  What books do y'all like or not like?  What tips do you have?  HELP!  I love my little prince, and he is usually such a sweet, fun boy.  I want to help him be the best little boy he can be at school for his teachers, his classmates and himself. 

And just in case you weren't sure if I was not winning mother of the year yesterday I also let Hanky fall and get a fat lip, he didn't even make it to a year... 

Thank goodness today is a new day! 

Seriously, tell me what resources you recommend please!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I learned about Love & Logic in one of my teaching classes in college. I think I'm definitely going to give that a try.

I love how your friend mentioned it's normal 2 year old boy behavior. . . I have so much to look forward too! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, Love and Logic has worked well for us so far and I really like the whole philosophy. There's another book I've heard of that people like but for some reason I can't think of it right now. Maybe someone else will say it!

Lindsay said...

I book I own, but have not read yet - but got the recommendation from Houston Heflin, is "Shepherding a Child's Heart." Whenever the girls give me fits and don't seem to care about others feelings or whatnot; I remind them of their memory verses from school like "Be kind to one another." "Love one another." and for some reason they seem to get the message. Reminding them the teachings are from Jesus and the bible. Now Avery is 2 and very normal. What I told myself with Kimberlyn (who is absolutely delightful now, but not as a 2 year old) is that I am training, results will not always be immediate. Just stay with it - be consistent, let some things go (pick the battles worth fighting), and let them know your expectations and expect them to meet it (and they will, just maybe not today. :) ).

Heather said...

Thanks for being so honest about being a mom!! I am anxious to hear all the suggestions!

Cindy said...

everybody has a bad parenting day. isn't nice to have the opportunity to correct his behavior now. papa said make your yes yes and your no no. there is no resoning with a 3 year old.

linde said...

i've heard sheperding a child's heart is amazing and especially good for boys. and loooooots of time with aunt linde and uncle jeffy:)

ps you haven't even seen bad. just wait till there is a giddens baby around!

Supermom-In-Training said...

Oh Abbe! You know I am so right there with you and my prince is at least a year older than yours! I honestly believe boys are wired differently than girls and especially boys who are too smart for their own good and get bored and distracted easily. Our teacher gave us the advice to add a bit more structure to our days at home - have a schedule and set time limits on each activity. We do this on the day in between school and then Thursdays and Fridays are a little more relaxed. I think it is helping!