Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Easy Yummy Recipe

I should remind you I am not the greatest cook, but I do okay.  Since I love having recipes to take from blogs I am trying to do the same and share a few of our favorites every now and then.  This is Skillet Chicken and Rice and it is a huge hit with the men in my life, and VERY easy. 


Here's what you need. 
1 1/3c milk
1 (10 3/4oz) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (6oz) package QUICK COOK long grain and wild rice
4 bones and skinned chicken breast halves
1 tbsp butter or margerine
and we always eat this with green beans and black eyed peas, sorry I am WT I like canned green beans

Step 1 melt the butter in your skillet

Step 2 put the chicken in the skillet, I use the tenders, I think they are easier to deal with and cook through easier and faster.

Step 3, technically in a different bowl, but I just dump the milk, soup and rice packet with seasonings in the skillet.  You MUST get QUICK COOK, otherwise it will take years to cook. 

Step 4-Give it a good stir and bring it to a boil. 
Aren't these pictures disgusting???

Step 5, reduce heat, cover and simmer 12 minutes or until chicken is done and liquid is absorbed.  I usually let it simmer a few minutes uncovered after the 12 it usually takes us about 20 minutes.  We don't like it runny.  Also, you have to stir every now and then so the rice doesn't stick to your skillet, but if it does it makes a nice little crunchy part like the best part of the dressing at Thanksgiving. 


See, I told you big fan, no smiles just diggin' in.
This may be a Southern Living recipe, Mom can't remember where she got it. 
Family, please be proud of me you will notice Avery's food is touching ever so slightly I am trying not to pass on my wierdness. 

2 comments:

linde said...

Normal people scoop out the chicken. And rice together/touching!! And then eat them together like a casserole!!

*Kendra* said...

Hey Abbe,
I'm "stalking" you, I guess. I'm friends with Amie, and since she talks about you and Avery sometimes I check your blog. Just wanted to let you know that I actually used your chck and rice recipe the other day and we loved it! My husband doesn't like the bake in the oven chicken and rice, but he said this one was great. Great recipe and congrats on baby #2.
-Kendra Broom