Saturday, January 12, 2008

Sometimes you just need your Mamma

This is my wonderful Mamma Cindy Lou! I love her so much and I am so thankful for her. I am laughing at myself as I write this post because I just read my friend Annalee's blog about becoming a Mom and here I am talking about needing my Mamma, but oh well. It's fun to get to be the baby a little while longer.
Any good southern girl know there is a difference between needing your Mom and needing your Mamma. You call your Mom for a recipe or to remember a family member's birthday, but when you are in trouble you call your Mamma.
I have been stressing. Michael and I have a great opportunity to go to Orlando for his work's annual meeting. But, I am NOT good at situations like that. I am really looking forward to putting faces with names and seeing Michael in his element, I think that will be so fun and enlightening. I am really not looking forward to talking to a lot of people I don't know at all, and may or may not have anything in common with. While I love to spend time with friends and people I know, I SUCK at small talk. I get so shy and nervous and can't think of anything intelligent to add to the conversation or to ask someone to get a conversation going.
It probably says terrible things about me, but one way I can feel a little more comfortable is to feel like I am looking my best. 25 weeks into pregnancy, that would not be the case. I know that everyone else thinks pregnant people are so cute, myself included, but it is weird when it is you. Then I find out I need to wear business dress 3 days and have a black tie dress for one night. Seriously! I have a pair of cute jeans and a jean skirt, black pants and some shirts. Nothing super dressy and nothing really business, I don't live in that world I wear glorified pajamas to my job. So panic starts to set in as I go shopping and keep coming home empty handed and struggling with paying a lot for clothes I'll wear a few times. I needed my Mamma.
So, Mamma to the rescue flew into town with Daddy in tow for good moral support. Our original mission was fabric for my couch recovering project Friday and if needed a little while on Saturday. But, by Friday night at 7 I was in tears and we had no dress and hadn't even thought about fabric. I was ready to pack up go home and refuse to go to the meetings. Luckily, Mom persevered with my bratty self. Finally, we found a store that actually had 2 dresses I really liked and a good friend at church loaned me some clothes that are very business appropriate. I picked my favorite dress and we headed for chips and queso therapy. Today I was able to relax and enjoy fabric shopping and find the perfect fabrics, too.
I LOVE MY MAMMA.
Thanks for putting up with my grumpy shopper self, I couldn't have done it without you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a fun-to-read post. I would never have guess that you hated small-talk or meeting new folks! You were always so personable in college!! How nice for your mamma to come to the rescue! Moms are the best!!

Tiffany said...

Oh Abbe, I can relate! I so dread the small talk! But you are so good with it and I would have never guessed you were dreading it. I am so glad your Mamma was able to come to your rescue and help you shop! I can't wait to hear about the trip to Florida! Have fun, and I'm sure you will look fabulous!

Maddie said...

YOU ARE ABBEGAIL J. WOMBLE AND YOU ARE FABULOUS!!!! Don't worry about small talk just smile adn ask questions, most people (myself included) will go on and on about themselves for hours with a little prompting.... you will have a WOINDERFUL time, its the "most magicial place on earth"

play date soon!

Unknown said...

I love my Abbe! It was so fun to find the perfect dress and to know that we really had several choices was a bonus. It is true that you will take center stage because you will be the cutest pregnant girl in the room, but now you will be the best dressed girl in the room too! Remember the 3 questions rule. Have them ready and remember that Maddie girl....people love to talk about themselves, their grandchildren, and their dogs! You have the best dressed couch and chair too!
Love you,
Mamma (and Mom when you need her)