Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I have a Confession

because I try to be, fairly, honest on the old blog there is something i need to confess.  i am 99.9% sure the wee 3 is a he, and if i am being honest it makes me a little sad.  i know that good mothers say they don't care what they have as long as the baby is healthy.  trust me i KNOW this, more than many!  i am beyond thankful that i have 2 healthy, precious boys and i can honestly tell you i had very little hope that we would have a healthy baby boy when we were speeding to the hospital march 24, 2008.  i also work in an NICU two days a week taking care of less than healthy babies.  i have had friends lose babies and give birth to babies that weren't healthy.  so, as much as someone who has healthy kids can, i get that babies aren't always born healthy.  and of course more than ANYTHING i want a healthy baby.  

but, i would really,really love a bow head.  

i am a girly girl.  purple is my favorite color.  i don't like to play outside, unless it is by a pool, ocean or lake.  i think bugs are disgusting and have spider issues that i probably should talk to someone about.  i thought i deserved a medal of honor because i didn't throw hank on the ground last year when a june bug landed on me while i was holding him.  mary poppins is my all time favorite movie.  i think retail therapy is an important part of a woman's mental health.  i think pedicures should be considered health care so you can turn them in for flex spending and not feel guilty getting babysitter so you can get one in peace and quiet. 
 
so, if i am being honest it makes me a little sad not to have a little princess.  i also worry about who will tell me that my hair is out of style or that the outfit i thought was so cute really just isn't?  who will call me with all her questions when she is cooking a new recipe, learning to raise kids, or just bored?  who will take care of us when we are old and our boys are busy creating their own families and working hard to care for them? 

i know you aren't supposed to say these things out loud, but i thought i would because there might some other girl out there feeling the way i feel and i want her to know that i think we are okay.  we still love our boys!  i know i wouldn't trade avery blake for an avery kate and hanky pank would be a terrible henrietta.  i can think of so many things that will be better with a 3rd boy, too.  avery and hank will always have 2 equal play mates to choose from.  we won't have a spoiled baby who is a girl on top of being the spoiled baby.  i can continue to get adorable matching sweater vests and bow ties.  i can watch them play 3 on 3 basketball.  when michael and the boys play golf they will always have a foursome.  when it is time for the men and boys mini trek at church i can do anything i want all weekend long!  and more than anything if (when) we have a boy i will know that God knew i could handle it and has a plan for me that involves 3 precious boys and i can't wait to experience it! 

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Abbe...I could have written every word and I completely understand! Saying that you would love to have a girl NEVER diminishes how much you love those boys. I know I will miss out on the things I could share with a daughter (things that my boys will never appreciate!) and sometimes that makes me sad. They won't really appreciate Little Women, tea parties, or other things that I love and wish I could share with a daughter. It goes way beyond wanting to buy bows and dresses! So, I get it! (Totally.) And you still don't know what Wee #3 is...you could be surprised!

Unknown said...

You're fine saying that! You're an awesome mother no matter what. I agree with Rachel, (unless you found out!) that you could be surprised! :) But even if you're not, we'll never doubt how much you'll love #3!

linde said...

OMG, good mamas tell the truth.

and just for the record, i have prayed many times during this pregnancy that you will get what your heart desires!

Maddie said...

ANY time you want to borrow mine let me
Know!!! When they are in jr high you'll be so glad. At 3 Haddie is already HIGH DRAMA. ugh

kristin fulghum said...

So glad you were honest. I definitely told people with my second pregnancy that I wanted a girl. Bad mama for sure. You know what...when your precious boys turn into men they will find amazing women to marry (I have two available if you need any ideas) and those women will LOVE having such a fun and cute mother in law and they will go shopping with you and call you for baby advice. And just think...more shopping and pedicure money for you!

Kelli said...

I ditto Kristen's comment.

Your boys are SO blessed to have such a super amazing mama.

You will be a fabulous girl mom or MIL to your son's wives some day! Oh the fun you will get to have.

And maybe it is granddaughters the Lord has planned for you. Word on the street is they are LOADS of fun for their Mimi's! :)

annalee said...

i love:
-your honesty
-your boys
-wee 3
you as a mom
i am making myself dizzy i am so eager to meet wee he or wee she... and still can't decide what my guess is:)

MELANIE said...

Oh Abbe, I think you speak the truth so much more than many moms out there! You're such a good boy mom that if Wee 3 is a he, he will be lucky to have you :) If it's a she I can't wait to see the bows among other things! Regardless, wee 3 is lucky to have you and Michael (and Avery and Hank)!!!