Tuesday, March 24, 2009

ONE WHOLE YEAR!!!

I can't believe that this time last year I was laying in a hospital bed in total shock wondering if Wee was a boy or a girl and being the NICU nurse hoping for a girl just knowing a boy would have to go to the NICU at just barely 36 weeks. I continue to thank God every day that not only was Wee a He, he was NOT a wimpy white boy and never needed any help from the NICU. I can't imagine our lives with anyone but our precious baby boy. We are so thankful for the pure joy he brings to our lives every single day. I can honestly say we have one of the easiest, happiest babies we know. Today also makes me thing of so many people who have done so much to support us and our kiddo from before he was born, I think of all of our friends and family who dropped everything at 10pm on a Monday night to come to the hospital and make sure we were okay. I think of our neighbors who gave us an exersaucer and swing set they didn't need anymore, just because, we don't even know them that well. I think of my friend Jennifer at work, an O.T., who gave me her home number and answered many, at times tearful, questions when Avery didn't eat well. I think of our church family who made meals, have play dates, love on Avery and are around to show him what church is really about, people not a place. I think of our families who are always there for us, keep Avery all the time, and constantly show him unconditional love. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!
Here he is with his final giraffe pose at ONE WHOLE YEAR!
And now for our Birthday in review...
We started with Avery's favorite breakfast banana toast. He thinks it is greatness and I LOVE that it is so easy. Make toast mash a banana and smear, for easing cutting use your pizza cutter.
I thought it would be a fun Birthday tradition to get to eat lunch with Daddy so we drove over and Avery, Michael and I had Chick Fil-A, it was a very fun lunch date!
After a serious power nap and a yummy dinner Avery enjoyed the greatness that is sprinkles!! At first I thought that we would just do the cake thing at Avery's party but then I decided you can't have your first Birthday with no cake. So, we decided to let Avery have a red velvet cupcake from Sprinkles. The men in Michael's family all always eat red velvet cupcakes and he had to have the best available.
He is a HUGE fan. I had to take it away, I think he would have eaten the whole thing.
This isn't overly relevant, but I love that Avery always crosses his ankles when he is content. So, after he finished his cupcake he kicked back with the crossed ankles in his high chair.
The family photo one year later. Apparently it is also college T-shirt night at our house...
Before bed we ready the Happy Birthday book our friends and family signed as they came to meet the little prince. I hope this will be a fun tradition, too.

11 comments:

Lynn Leaming said...

What a sweet tradition reading the happy birthday book. I can just see it on his 18th birthday :)

Heather said...

He really is an adorable little boy! Happy Birthday Avery!!

amie said...

Love all your fun birthday tradations!! Especially the sprinkles one!!

Supermom-In-Training said...

What a great first birthday!! Avery is such a cutie pie!! Happy Birthday!!

annalee said...

what a year it has been! i got your message and i'm so glad avery got the package. love you guys, especially that handsome birthday boy!

Cindy said...

I love everything about his great day. Those crossed legs are just to sweet and I am glad he has his PaPa Virgel's sweet tooth.
Love to my little man,
LouLou

linde said...

he is a preshy little boy. you guys should have seen him gobble up that cupcake-you would have been impressed!!

mereburk said...

happy, happy b-day to you avery!

MELANIE said...

Looks like Avery had a very fun first birthday!! I can't believe it's been a year either! I hope he has a blast at his party too :)

kristin fulghum said...

precious! that kid is cute and it sounds like he had a spectacular birthday.

Leah J. said...

Sounds like your birthday was a HAPPY one, big boy!! What a cutie!!